View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 21 Apr 2018 05:35

Forum rules


- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.



Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Thanksgiving 2017 Event - The Rise of Bots 
Author Message
Rising Hero

Joined: 06 Jul 2011 22:24
Posts: 305
Thanksgiving 2017 Event - The Rise of Bots

I think there are some things wrong with the event.

There is no incentive to interact/socialize and share or trade items and information.

It promotes the other things: scripting and botting - everyone becomes an ogre now.
No newbie area is safe, no npc too small to kill.
You team for one reason only: to kill = grind = gobble faster.

This is exactly the opposite direction the game should be going.


27 Nov 2017 20:18
Profile
Myth

Joined: 06 Mar 2012 00:14
Posts: 1518
Syrk wrote:
Thanksgiving 2017 Event - The Rise of Bots

I think there are some things wrong with the event.

There is no incentive to interact/socialize and share or trade items and information.

It promotes the other things: scripting and botting - everyone becomes an ogre now.
No newbie area is safe, no npc too small to kill.
You team for one reason only: to kill = grind = gobble faster.

This is exactly the opposite direction the game should be going.



Yepp, the impression I have is that it creates anti-social behaviour with people just running around spamming gobble at mobs, very easy to bot and there has been people doing this ofc.


27 Nov 2017 20:41
Profile
Adept

Joined: 20 May 2017 15:25
Posts: 110
Kills the chatbox, too. It's not as bad when people "ask x gobble gobble" as opposed to "say to it, say to 2nd it, say to 3rd it, say to 4th it" and end up saying gobble gobble to stuff in their inventory, but still...


27 Nov 2017 21:56
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: 03 Mar 2010 07:50
Posts: 473
Thanks for the feedback! Different events focus on different things, and they also evolve over time. The original Turkey event used a location stone to help people locate turkeys. The criticism in that first event was very similar - that it encourages botting and there was no interaction. We also ran it over 2 weeks initially, which was very tiring. Over time, it evolved into working together with others to roast the turkeys properly. Separate "events" were created so that you could have 1 week races, but could participate in either one. It was able to evolve to become better because of feedback like the one in this thread.

The focus of this event was to get people to explore the "unique" aspects of the game more. Finding more unique rooms, npcs, and races allow you to get to know the game better but also explore places that you otherwise wouldn't have explored. It also makes use of the speech mechanism, which up to this point has only been used in the auction house. I think there are many ways that we can enhance events in the future to take into account the speech mechanism, but invite your feedback and ideas around this.

So keep the feedback coming, especially if you have ideas for how to make it better. Happy Gobbling!


27 Nov 2017 22:22
Profile
Adept

Joined: 30 Aug 2017 19:55
Posts: 109
Syrk wrote:
Thanksgiving 2017 Event - The Rise of Bots

I think there are some things wrong with the event.

There is no incentive to interact/socialize and share or trade items and information.

It promotes the other things: scripting and botting - everyone becomes an ogre now.
No newbie area is safe, no npc too small to kill.
You team for one reason only: to kill = grind = gobble faster.

This is exactly the opposite direction the game should be going.


Sounds like a normal Genesis day.

The event took kill and replaced it with gobble while giving qexp and stones. I find it amusing to race people, but it was also a ton of fun exploring, finding new and very odd races and areas that I didnt even know existed. Not everyone has to like or enjoy the event because not everyones tastes are the same. But your reasoning... thats what people do daily. They script, they kill anything and everything, hardly anyone talks and some just plain go right back to botting. On a normal day you team for one reason: to kill = grind = exp faster.

If everyone is content with a normal Genesis day I don't see what the gripe about an event that just gives more is. Other then the spam, I even had to turn my chat feature off. :P


27 Nov 2017 22:43
Profile
Adventurer

Joined: 23 Nov 2017 03:45
Posts: 95
I play Genesis for the RP, most other muds don't care about RP at all, and Genesis seemly does.

I hated the event...

Some RP partners decided to go gobble instead of RPing at all.

And the RP I still managed to get, was oftne interrutped by buggy gobble scripts... Like I am in the middle of nowhere, talkign serious business with someone, then a rainbow-coloured comes in, gobbles at every single fucking item on his own inventory, and runs off.

Then 5 minutes later, a orange asian turkey does the same...

And so on...

On first day was amusing seeing a minotaur in a turkey suit gobbling at his sword, but that gets old, fast.


27 Nov 2017 22:59
Profile
Wanderer
User avatar

Joined: 07 Oct 2015 17:38
Posts: 50
Location: Gorlovka
Alteor wrote:
I play Genesis for the RP, most other muds don't care about RP at all, and Genesis seemly does.

I hated the event...

Some RP partners decided to go gobble instead of RPing at all.

And the RP I still managed to get, was oftne interrutped by buggy gobble scripts... Like I am in the middle of nowhere, talkign serious business with someone, then a rainbow-coloured comes in, gobbles at every single fucking item on his own inventory, and runs off.

Then 5 minutes later, a orange asian turkey does the same...

And so on...

On first day was amusing seeing a minotaur in a turkey suit gobbling at his sword, but that gets old, fast.


I agree on the roleplaying bit. Personally, although the reward of acquiring qexp is enticing, I simply do not see my character dressing up as a turkey seeking to mate with everyone in the world. It's anticlimatic, so I decided to simply not partake in it and enjoy other aspects of the game.

_________________
You see a mousetrap. I see free cheese and a challenge.


27 Nov 2017 23:12
Profile
Titan
User avatar

Joined: 05 Mar 2010 01:05
Posts: 492
Alteor wrote:
I play Genesis for the RP, most other muds don't care about RP at all, and Genesis seemly does.

I hated the event...

Some RP partners decided to go gobble instead of RPing at all.

And the RP I still managed to get, was oftne interrutped by buggy gobble scripts... Like I am in the middle of nowhere, talkign serious business with someone, then a rainbow-coloured comes in, gobbles at every single fucking item on his own inventory, and runs off.

Then 5 minutes later, a orange asian turkey does the same...

And so on...

On first day was amusing seeing a minotaur in a turkey suit gobbling at his sword, but that gets old, fast.


Image

_________________
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."
-Mel Brooks


28 Nov 2017 03:12
Profile YIM
Hero

Joined: 02 Sep 2010 21:25
Posts: 388
Syrk wrote:
Thanksgiving 2017 Event - The Rise of Bots

I think there are some things wrong with the event.

There is no incentive to interact/socialize and share or trade items and information.

It promotes the other things: scripting and botting - everyone becomes an ogre now.
No newbie area is safe, no npc too small to kill.
You team for one reason only: to kill = grind = gobble faster.

This is exactly the opposite direction the game should be going.


Exactly - it's how it goes on Genesis.

On the one hand wizards are declaring that they want ppl to "play", interact etc but on the other hand create content for bots (with some notable exceptions ofc - SOHMs, butterfly event, Laran quests in Terel)


28 Nov 2017 16:38
Profile
Apprentice

Joined: 26 Jul 2017 23:08
Posts: 40
petros wrote:
Thanks for the feedback! Different events focus on different things, and they also evolve over time. The original Turkey event used a location stone to help people locate turkeys. The criticism in that first event was very similar - that it encourages botting and there was no interaction. We also ran it over 2 weeks initially, which was very tiring. Over time, it evolved into working together with others to roast the turkeys properly. Separate "events" were created so that you could have 1 week races, but could participate in either one. It was able to evolve to become better because of feedback like the one in this thread.

The focus of this event was to get people to explore the "unique" aspects of the game more. Finding more unique rooms, npcs, and races allow you to get to know the game better but also explore places that you otherwise wouldn't have explored. It also makes use of the speech mechanism, which up to this point has only been used in the auction house. I think there are many ways that we can enhance events in the future to take into account the speech mechanism, but invite your feedback and ideas around this.

So keep the feedback coming, especially if you have ideas for how to make it better. Happy Gobbling!


The event is OK with one exeption. There shoukd be counted only unique rooms in each domains. What we have now is the competitions between the script provrammers. Who will write a beter script that cover more areas and is fasger and more effective than others player scripts. Your idea Petros was good but allowing people score the same npc after an hour or so, distorted it fully.


29 Nov 2017 10:04
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software.